Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Celebrating the Holidays....Are You Ready?



Are you ready...heck yeah, damn right...Hotty Toddy, gosh a mighty....Ole Miss football has its official kick off this weekend. You may not be familiar with us lately. You may, however, know those Manning boys--Peyton, Eli and their father Archie who played at Ole Miss in the '70's. We will spend part of our Labor Day weekend attending the University of MS vs the University of Memphis game in Memphis. This is our first year in ten years not to have a child at Ole Miss--I've had lots of practice tailgating! I thought I might share one of our favorite tailgate recipes. It's always a hit, can be done ahead of time, and fills up a lot of hungry people!



Tailgate Muffalettas

Horizontally slice a loaf of French bread. Drizzle both sides with olive oil and Italian seasoning. Top one side with ham, salami, and pepperoni slices. Top the meat with olive salad. I buy mine in the deli section or salad bar section. You may need to chop this a little more finely if the olives are large. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese . Top with other side of bread. Wrap tightly in aluminum foil. The sandwich can be made ahead of time up to this point. On game day, bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes. To keep this warm, I wrap it in newspaper tightly. Be sure to take a serrated knife to slice it at the tailgate. This is always a winner!


Cheri at It's So Very Cheri is hosting a Celebrating the Holidays Party. Click over for more fun, recipes, and pictures Have a fun, safe, and happy Labor Day. Hope your team wins :) !

16 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting to the Celebrating the Holidays party. This sounds yummy. I posted a pasta olive pesto recipe just a few days ago that I bet you would like.

    I hope you post lots of great ideas. I look forward to getting to know you better.

    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  2. My precious niece, age 33, graduated from Ole Miss Law School a few years back!!! She has such fond memories and many lasting friendships from that time. The recipe sounds delicious. Hope you have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of our good friends is an Ole Miss grad. They crack me up as they have one Christmas tree dedicated to Old Miss ornaments! So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Susan,

    Sounds like you are going to have a fun time celebrating the holidays ~ have fun.
    The sandwich recipe will be delicious and will have to make this, thank you.

    hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Susan, that's not too far from us. I don't know anything abut football but we're going to Ann Arbor to watch the U of M game. Thanks for your nice comment about the sunset. Luckily I see it from the kitchen window so I can keep cooking....Christine

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am going to run all the way over there to see what that party is all about!!! thanks for the tips...and great post today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a lot of fun! My Doc will be there I am sure! For he has 3 of his Quads in college at Ole Miss. I did not realize you are from Mississippi, Oh just come home and meet all of us ladies for lunch! Won't you come home? lol Where do you live know?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad I found your post. My son is a senior in high school and has applied to Ole Miss for the 2010/2011 school year. We took a trip to Oxford last February and we really liked the campus and the atmosphere. He hasn't made a decision yet but it's one of his top choices. I work with a graduate of Ole Miss and he is SO unhappy about having to miss the game this weekend. We are going to tailgate and watch the game at his house so I think I will take your Tailgate Muffalettas. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a lot of fun and the sandwich sounds yummy!
    Thanks for visiting me and for your sweet comments.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Susan...yeah it is football time! However both my teams are not Mississippi teams, I'm a Tennessee ( Peyton Manning) and Titans Fan!Of couse we also cheer for USM unless they play The Vols! :) Wish you couls come to the luncheon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have already seen cars flying their flags. :) My brother and sister-in-law always have season tickets for Ole Miss, so they will be in town. Your muffaletta sounds so good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad you came over!
    Between our two daughters, we are starting year 7 at Auburn and if Caro gets into vet school, we will be there a while longer!
    At least they didn't overlap!
    Enjoy the game this weekend.

    WAR EAGLE Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  13. yeah for tailgating!! my husband graduated from ole miss!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sandwich sounds perfect for tailgating!
    Have fun at the game and Good Luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Susan,
    Your recipe sounds great! There's a touch of Fall in the air, and now you're headed to a big game this weekend ... sounds like you'll be rooting for Ole Miss! So will lots of my favorite people!

    Thanks for the nice comments you left for me. I didn't mention the chargers ... they're a hodgepodge of silverplated ones picked up at estate sales and an antique mall (on sale). The ornate ones in the breakfast nook aren't really chargers ... they're trays that happened to be the right diameter ... actually a bit too deep though ... plates almost fell in! ;)

    Have a great weekend!

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  16. Go check out what I had to say about you-you are one of my Favorites. You can grab my I've been featured buttons.

    Cheri

    ReplyDelete