Thursday, February 26, 2009

Meet the Fockers Menu

This is a test run for me in more ways than one. First, it is my maiden attempt to join in Gollum's Foodie Friday and more importantly, it is a recount of our hosting the parents of the groom-to-be for dinner for the first time. Think "Meet the Fockers". The future in-laws were in town briefly to firm up rehearsal dinner arrangements so it seemed like a good time to start "melding"! But the first bugaboo reared its ugly head when my husband announced he would be cooking ribs on the grill or frying up one of his famous catfish dinners. Now "Beloved" is very good at both of these, but February didn't seem like the best time to be hanging around a grill or deep fat fryer getting to know each other. Besides, I wanted this dinner run on a tightly run schedule---mine! So, I set about planning a menu that would be tasty but not exotic, gourmet but not ostentatious, friendly but not needy. Who knew I could find such deep hidden messages in food? So this is the "Meet the In Laws" menu: Mixed baby greens with strawberries, orange slices, chili sugar glazed pecans, and blue cheese in a balsamic vinaigrette, thick center cut bone-in pork chops marinated and cooked on the grill by "Beloved", fresh green beans cooked with coarse Dijon mustard and almonds, wild rice and mushroom casserole, Sister Schubert's rolls (because I certainly can't beat them) and for a taste of "downhome" a dessert that begins with a layer of ice cream sandwiches. Oh, and I almost forgot-- we started with an appetizer torte made with cream cheese, roasted red peppers and pesto. Whew!!! I have to say I think the dinner came off fabulously--at least no one has called about being sick yet and the wedding is still on! Click on the Foodie Friday button on the sidebar to see what else is cooking!

17 comments:

  1. The link works!
    Your menu sounds delicious. I loved reading about how you arrived at the menu and still kept hubby happy. :-) Meals and memories...it doesn't get any better.

    How do you make chili sugar glazed pecans? They sound delicious. I can easily add your link for next week's FF. Just let me know.

    Gollum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan! I just had to come over and say hi to a fellow disciple! And I think I'm your first follower! Welcome! I'm still pretty new too! Still trying to figure things out! I loved your story and congratulations on the upcoming nuptuals! Hopefully one day I too will be a MOG! Your menu sounds fantastic! Are you going to post the recipes! God Bless! Lauralu

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan, this is a wonderful menu! Sounds just delicious, and I liked your descriptions of the meal. You sound like a food critic, girl! Sooooo glad the inlaw dinner didn't become the outlaw dinner. ;-)

    Happy Foodie Friday...

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved that movie and your dinner sounds fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous menu! Glad the wedding is still "on" : ) Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. The meal sounds wonderful! And you managed to keep everyone happy at a meeting which can be a little awkward...just been through it myself! Have a great weekend...:-)...Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Susan~ Sending you warm sunshine and beautiful flowers from Jamaica :) Two more days in paradise, and I'm back to the cold :(

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  8. HI Susan! Oh, your menu sounded wonderful! I'm sure you impressed the in laws big time. Now, I've seen that movie! It was hilarious! Welcome to Foodie Friday.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for visiting over at my blog! Lovely menu!

    Carolyn of What Now? Tablescapes

    ReplyDelete
  10. This menu sounds wonderful. So glad that the dinner went well and that the wedding is still on. And I love that movie, hope your dinner wasn't really like that lol. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your post on my blog about your daughter and the stranger tooth fairy cracked me up. It makes sense.
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I bet you really won them over with this menu - it sounds perfect! ~ Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved this story. The way to a man's parents' hearts are through their stomachs too. So glad it all went well... Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Morning Susan...welcome to blogland my friend. Wow girl what a menu..that sounded like a five star meal for sure! I'm sure they were just as nervous as you & I bet you made them feel so welcomed and special. Thanks for coming by to visit & please come back anytime...have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'd love your recipe for your glazed pecans! Everything sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete